A Midsummer Tale Narrative Writing Contest
The 2017 contest is open.
Read the General Contest Rules first.
A Midsummer Tale is open April 1 – June 21 annually.
The theme of the 2017 A Midsummer Tale writing contest is: Summer Love. Some loves last a lifetime, while others are transient. Write a story—fiction or nonfiction—about the love of someone or something that only lasts the length of a summer.
The theme must play an integral role in the story.
Identify your story as fiction or creative nonfiction. For CNF entries, please indicate whether names have been changed.
Length: 1,000 words minimum; 5,000 words maximum.
Deadline for entries: June 21, 2017.
Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: A Midsummer Tale Contest Entry
Entries are blind-judged by Beaver. Decisions are final. Winners are announced July 31.
Winning stories are published in the September issue of Toasted Cheese.
- If 50 or fewer eligible entries are received, first place receives a $35 Amazon gift card & second a $10 Amazon gift card.
- If 51 or more eligible entries are received, first place receives a $50 Amazon gift card, second a $15 Amazon gift card & third a $10 Amazon gift card.
Past AMT Themes:
- 2016: Summer Job
- 2015: Summer Home / Home for the Summer
- 2014: Song of the Summer
- 2013: Retreat / Encounter
- 2012: Snail Mail
- 2011: Water Fire Earth Air
- 2010: Make Believe
- 2009: Growth / Harvest
- 2008: Snapshots
- 2007: The Beach
- 2006: Summer School
- 2005: Road Trip
- 2004: Summer Vacation
- 2003: Hot Summer Nights
- 2002: a transition that takes place over the summer months